2018 is right around the corner, and it’s the perfect time to optimize your marketing strategy for the new year. But where do you start? Before you begin setting new goals, take some time to consider what strategies worked best for you in 2017. Ask your team:
- What specific marketing strategies were most effective?
- What (if any) marketing strategies didn’t work at all?
- Should you re-allocate resources to the more effective strategies?
- Has your target audience or geographic location changed in the past year?
- Were you able to stay within your marketing budget?
Having an honest conversation about your performance over the past year is the optimal way to pick the best path forward. Once you know what worked best for your team in the past, you are ready to create marketing resolutions for the next year. Focus on creating goals that are SMART.
- Specific (targeted to a specific area of improvement)
- Measurable (gives a quantifiable result you can monitor)
- Achievable (a goal that is challenging, yet still completable)
- Relevant (something that will further your marketing goals)
- Timely (set a certain deadline for completion)
Here’s an excellent example of a SMART Goal: ”I will grow my social media presence to 250 followers by the end of the year, and post content on my social profiles twice a week.” Now that’s a SMART goal!
Though it can be daunting to draft out your marketing resolutions for the new year, these tips can help you focus your efforts and input a successful strategy for 2018.